Friday, March 27, 2015

Combatives Gone Too Far

Every week my husband's unit does combatives.  I think it is a great way to keep on top of that particular challenge and so does he, but only when there are certain precautions taken since this just practice after all.  Yes, I realize that in the real world that those precautions wouldn't be there but there is not reason why they shouldn't be there if it is practice!

Before the combatives there should be a level 2 instructor present and a medic.  If either of those were there they weren't doing their jobs the other day.  My spouse got hurt not once but twice and did tap out but was ignored during the tap out in the strangle hold.  No one checked his injuries.

The 1stSgt actually told him to not go to sick call for the injury.  I told my spouse he should go get it looked at since he was spitting up blood and swallowing hurt.  I've been strangled.  He had to go to dental anyway since he was due.  They took xrays.  He has soft tissue injuries, chipped tooth, and an abrasions inside his mouth.  Oh and yes no one was instructed to bring mouth guards or wear them before the combatives...probably that is against the rules too I'm guessing.

The dentist gave him biofreeze, motrin, told him to hot pack it when he can and drink warm liquids.  He is having a hard time even talking today since his vocal cords seem to be swollen as well.

I think this is a case of the combatives going a bit far in my opinion.  This wasn't just one guy he went up against but two in the combatives and guys the 1stSgt chose for him that were much bigger and stronger too.

Yes I realize that in the real world you can't pick the guy you are going to have to beat the crap out of but yeah um I think his 1stSgt has something against him. If you've been reading my blog you'll have read that in the past there is something wrong with his chain of command.  DH had to fill in for the 1stSgt the other morning at PT for accountability formation and did good enough that I guess the 1stSgt had to find something else to tear DH up on.

Can't wait to get out of here for DH's sake.

2 comments:

  1. Any chance he would consider leaving the Army? It does not sound like a good fit for your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't want to leave the Army, this installation yes he'd like to leave that because of the toxic chain of command. I'm not sure how much you know about the Army but I can sort of explain it from a retail perspective having worked in that field for a few years. If you have a regional manager that is bad at what they are doing and has an attitude and goes around training the local managers in his way then those managers will eventually go up the ladder to be a regional manager and teach the same way. That is toxic chain of command. It gets passed along. Bad leadership. The first day on the job for the 1stSGT in my husband's battery was the day my husband came off of leave and the 1stSGT said my husband ruined his first day on the job. So the guy has it out for my husband.

      Delete

If you decide to be a Troll I will refuse to pay your toll and your comment will not appear.